Power Plant Operator / Systems Operator 1
This position provides a career path for MN 2nd Class A Licensed Boiler Operators.
*Provided the applicant meets contractual certifications, licensing and time served the applicant may be eligible to be promoted.
Future Promotional Opportunities:
OP2/MM2 - Salary: $19.41 - $30.04
OP3/MM3 - Salary: $20.97 - $32.45
Qualified candidates will have a minimum of one (1) year experience in the operation and maintenance of high-pressure steam and electric power generation systems. Experience in resource recovery desirable.
Under the direct supervision of the Shift Supervisor and/or Supervising System Operator and with guidance of the Systems Operator 2, operates and maintains high pressure steam heating and electric generating equipment at a refuse-fired power plant on an assigned shift.
- Operates and maintains stokers, fans, hydraulic systems, and pollution control systems associated with a refuse or conventionally fired boiler
- Operates and maintains high voltage electric generation and distribution equipment
- Operates auxiliary equipment including pumps, heat exchangers, ash conveyors and condensers.
- Operates a refuse feed crane and maintains proper refuse storage pit conditions
- Monitors and controls makeup water purification equipment
- Monitors and controls refuse tipping floor operations
- Assists in maintaining the operating log of all power plant parameters on the shift
- Performs miscellaneous housekeeping in and around the work area
- May assist in the training of students and other employees
- Performs other related work as assigned
- Completes necessary reports and records related to the monitoring and maintenance of equipment
- Valid MN 2nd Class A Boiler's License
- Knowledge of the principles and practices involved in the operation and maintenance of high-pressure boilers, furnaces and related support equipment
- Ability to read and record data from gauges, meters and microprocessor based data acquisition systems and accurately interpret such data
- Ability to understand and comply with written and verbal operating procedures and instructions
- Ability to act quickly and calmly in emergency situations with the assistance of the Systems Operator 2