This position provides a career path for Minnesota 2nd Class "A" licensed Boiler Operators as follows*:
Future Promotional Opportunities:
OP2/MM2 - Salary: $21.52 - $33.65
OP3/MM3 - Salary: $23.25 - $36.35
*Provided the applicant meets contractual certifications, licensing and time served, the applicant may be eligible to be promoted.
Under the direct supervision of the Shift Supervisor and/or Supervising System Operator and with guidance of the Systems Operator 2, operates and maintains high pressure steam heating and electric generating equipment at a refuse-fired power plant on an assigned shift.
- Operates and maintains stokers, fans, hydraulic systems, and pollution control systems associated with a refuse or conventionally fired boiler.
- Operates and maintains high voltage electric generation and distribution equipment.
- Operates auxiliary equipment including pumps, heat exchangers, ash conveyors and condensers.
- Operates a refuse feed crane and maintains proper refuse storage pit conditions.
- Monitors and controls makeup water purification equipment.
- Monitors and controls refuse tipping floor operations.
- Assists in maintaining the operating log of all power plant parameters on the shift.
- Performs miscellaneous housekeeping in and around the work area.
- May assist in the training of students and other employees.
- Completes necessary reports and records related to the monitoring and maintenance of equipment.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
- Valid MN 2nd Class A Boiler's License.
- Qualified candidates will have a minimum of one (1) year experience in the operation and maintenance of high-pressure steam and electric power generation systems (experience in resource recovery desirable).
- Knowledge of the principles and practices involved in the operation and maintenance of high-pressure boilers, furnaces and related support equipment.
- Ability to read and record data from gauges, meters and microprocessor based data acquisition systems and accurately interpret such data.
- Ability to understand and comply with written and verbal operating procedures and instructions.
- Ability to act quickly and calmly in emergency situations with the assistance of the Systems Operator 2.